In this article (~5 min read):
1. Where can I download the product report
2. Which format and type should I choose
3. How do I read different types of product report
Where can I download the product report from?
We assume it is convenient for you to work with the product report in Microsoft Excel. Perhaps you even prefer it over the report in your dashboard.
Thus, for users' convenience, the product report can be downloaded from several places in their account with Competera, namely:
- section Analytics > Overview: clicking on any opportunity card on the left makes it possible to download a selected report in the preferred format (read on for recommendations regarding them). To select a report click Export as (downward arrow) – the drop-down menu offers several formats and types of product report for download. If you are sure about the format and type you're looking for, go for it; alternatively, read away for making this choice easier.
- section Analytics > Overview: on the very bottom of this page, right in the "Featured product reports" subsection click Export as (downward arrow) and follow the guidelines from the previous paragraph.
- section Analytics > Products: in the top-right corner of this page you'll find the same downward arrow (Export as). Click on it and you'll see an extended list of reports available for download.
Which format and type should I choose
Horizontally – all available formats of product reports: CSV, Excel (XLS) and CSV, formed specifically for convenient opening in Microsoft Excel and not requiring additional fine-tuning.
The most familiar and frequently used XLS format is recommended for lightweight reports with relatively small number of products; files of this format take up the most disk space of all three suggested options. For large data volumes go for alternatives like CSV for Excel or CSV. In addition, the format of an ordinary Microsoft Excel file does not provide for the number of rows over 20 thousand. The report with a larger number of rows cannot be loaded in this format, which is indicated by a pop-up window offering the option to download CSV.
After you selected the format and type of the report, data export from a server and file formation start. Depending on the data volume, there exists a possibility of up to 1 minute delay in the start of report downloading.
We strongly recommend using CSV for Excel format, because it doesn't impose restrictions on the number of rows and the data volume, is formed faster than an ordinary Microsoft Excel report, does not require additional fine-tuning, and seamlessly opens in Microsoft Excel.
Being a text file, a CSV report takes up minimal disk space, although entails several steps to adapt and correctly display in Microsoft Excel, namely:
1. Go to File > Open.
2. Select Text Files from the Open dialog box.
3. Locate and double-click the CSV file that you want to open.
4. Microsoft Excel automatically opens the CSV file and displays the report.
How do I read different types of product report
Let's review the types of product reports in more detail, there are five of them in Competera: concise, ordinary, extended, vertical and the report incorporating all monitored products, which can be found on price comparison websites.
Concise report contains just 4 values: product name, category, SKU, and its price in your store and in online stores you monitor. The most common practice of this report's usage is to figure out the assortment and competitive pricing.
Ordinary report adds several more columns to those of the concise report and includes product name, category, SKU, your price, availability status, promotions, similar data for the online stores you monitor, the minimum and maximum price of all, as well as extendable columns with the last registered price in your store, shipping cost, and suggested price according to your existing repricing rules.
It is reasonable to use this report for in-depth study and analysis of the market positioning.
Extended report represents comprehensive data about products and incorporates all existing columns from the product report in Competera – there are 33 of them in the extended report, along with the detailed information regarding the online stores you monitor, URLs to product pairs and custom fields (if any) adapted or added to the product report upon request.
Such a detailed report is as a rule used for specific product comparison or in-depth market analysis.
Vertical report has an alternative structure and, unlike other available reports, displays data about online stores you monitor in rows, not in table columns.
A vertical report represents a modified version of the extended product report and therefore can be used for the same purpose as the latter.
Marketplaces report is a vertical report modified for marketplaces monitoring to make sellers' data representation more convenient. It contains additional columns showing the marketplace name and indicating whether a seller's price is the cheapest on the marketplace. Sellers are identified in the Competitor name column instead of cmp_marketplace_sellers, the former column is removed.
Report by price comparison websites comprises all products and online stores you monitor, which can be found on price comparison websites. This report contains product name, category, SKU, your price, availability status, promotions, the minimum and maximum price of all online stores you monitor, available on price comparison websites.
Let us know whether this article was helpful 👍👎, and share your comments in the section below.